When you’re looking for a way to shake up your favorite cookie recipes, think outside of the cookie box. Add a twist to your favorite sweets with a bit of salty goodness. Try our chocolate cookie recipe below. We used a variety of our finishing salts and confectioners sugar to top these delicious treats. The crunchy texture and salty taste, combined with the creamy sweet-sugar make these a real winner. We’ve given you a few finishing salt pairing suggestions to get you started, but really, the sky is the limit.
Choose Your Salt
Many of our guests are drawn to our Espresso Finishing salt
, but often ask “How would I use it?” Infused with coffee flavor, with a dark, rich aroma, and coarse, brown crystals, this finishing salt is a perfect accompaniment to chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Check out this earlier blog post for Espresso Salted Irish Coffee, or try it with our chocolate cookie recipe below.
Our Lemon Zest Salt
will step up your game from bake sale baker to pastry chef-extraordinaire. Salt and lemon make a perfect flavor pair. We use fresh lemon intermingled with our premium sea salt, creating the ideal flavor combination. This salt with its massive pyramid shaped crystal really delivers a distinct lemon flavor.
Vanilla Bean Salt
Our Vanilla Bean Finishing Salt is made with genuine Tahitian Vanilla Beans, and is mixed with a delicate hand-harvested sea salt. The combination of salt and vanilla accentuates sweet desserts. This surprisingly tasty finishing salt gives a sweet/salty flavor and works well when topped on our chocolate cookies.
Sweet Tooth Salt Set
If you can’t decide which to try, we offer our Sweet Tooth Salt Set
which comes with all three. Make your cookie dough and divide into three smaller batches. Try out all three and let the tasting begin!
Chocolate Cookies with Sea Salt
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Sea Salt Finishing Salts
- Chopped Macadamia Nuts (Optional)
- Confectioners Sugar for sprinkling (Optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or use silicone baking sheets
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and table salt with a whisk. Set aside
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the white sugar, brown sugar and melted butter on high. Reduce the speed to low. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined
- Slowly add the dry ingredients until just combined
- Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts using a spatula
- Roll dough in 2-inch balls and place several inches apart on the cookie sheet
- Using your hand or the back of a spoon, gently press the top of each cookie dough ball until slightly flattened
- Sprinkle the top of each cookie with a pinch of sea salt
- Bake for 9-10 minutes
- Cool on wire rack
- Add a dusting of confectioners sugar